The railway line cutting through the middle of the country park first appears on the third edition (second revision) Ordnance Survey map (1914-1920). It weaves through the site and across the southern end of Waulkmill Glen Reservoir, carried on a predominantly brick built, Victorian viaduct.
The Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was constructed by Robert McAlpine for Caledonian Railways in the late nineteenth century. It was built in order to provide services from Glasgow to the Ayrshire coast. Various stations were opened and closed over the years, including Patterton, which first opened on May 1st, 1903.
In January 1917 Patterton Station was closed for just over two years, but was reopened as Patterton for Darnley Rifle Range in 1919. A proposed station at Lyoncross never came to fruition. In 1923 the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway was merged with a former rival (Glasgow and Southern Western Railway) to form the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. Several stations were closed over the years, as the merged companies were no longer competing for business.
Of the original line, only a small portion survives – that which travels between Neilston and Newton Mearns through the country park.